Saturday, February 25, 2012

Bantam - Caldari Mining Frigate

Starting off your mining career in EVE, you can't go wrong with using the Bantam as your starter mining ship. This Caldari frigate is second only to the Tormentor in terms or available cargo space, but it sets you on the way to using the Osprey for mining - the best mining cruiser available in EVE.


Caldari Bantam - Mining Frigate

Having two low slots, you can install Expanded Cargohold I to increase the original cargo volume from 235 m3 to 389 m3 (more if using Tech II or higher meta level equipment). 

The high slots will house the standard 2x Miner I's and the two available middle slots should be filled with a Survey Scanner I and any other module of your choice. My recommendation is a Small Shield Extender I. The shield extender will give you more buffer in the shield tank, so you will be able to venture out into systems with 0.6 sec status. Alternatively, a Small Shield Booster I or a 1MN Afterburner can be installed.

The Caldari Bantam can deploy 1x light drone. If you are in a 1.0 system, then you might as well increase your mining yield by using Mining Drone I. Otherwise, to provide defense against asteroid belt NPC pirates (a.k.a. rats), it is recommended to use any Light Scout Drone (Hornet/Hobgoblin/Warrior/Acolyte).


Bantam Fit

High Slots:
Miner I
Miner I

Medium Slots:
Survey Scanner I
Small Shield Extender I

Low Slots:
Expanded Cargohold I
Expanded Cargohold I

Drones:
1x any Light Scout Drone
(Hornet I / Hobgoblin I / Warrior I / Acolyte I)




Basic Skills Needed:
Caldari Frigate II (requires Spaceship Command I), Mining I, Electronics I, Shield Upgrades I (requires Engineering II, Science I), Hull Upgrades I (requires Mechanics I), Scout Drone Operation I (requires Drones I)

Since the raw ore takes up considerable space in the cargohold, you will likely need to jetcan the ore or place it in a secure container. Please follow the link to see when to jetcan and when to use a secure container. The best course of action would be to team up with someone who flies an industrial ship to haul your ore for you. Even with a buddy, you may still need to take precautions to avoid ore theft.

Make sure to train up Mining and Caldari Frigate skills to level IV and you will be ready to start upgrading to the Osprey which will considerably increase your mining yield. Happy mining!

No comments:

Post a Comment