Tuesday, June 19, 2012

New Mining Character Day 16 - The Retriever

The time has come to upgrade the mining cruiser to a dedicated mining barge. All of the skills have been trained and more than enough ISK has been earned. From this point forward, the only major step left is to train for the mining end game: The Hulk. The Retriever will provide a solid base whether you want to advance further in mining or just rely on casual mining for passive ISK grinding.


The mining stats for the Retriever with my current skill load-out are as follows: 2x Strip Miner I collect 1695.16 m3/cycle or 565.05 m3/min. That's 167.61 m3 of ore more than Osprey's yield. The 3251.3 m3 cargo hold capacity is also very sizable and allows for almost two cycles without jettisoning the ore.

The way I initially fit the Retriever was to maximize the cargo hold capacity without the use of rigs.

High Slots:
2x Strip Miner I

Medium Slot:
1x Survey Scanner I

Low Slots:
2x Expanded Cargohold II

Drone Bay:
5x Warrior I

It is possible to customize the Retriever fit to the particular mining ops you're in. Ideally, the low slots should be fitted with Mining Upgrades to increase the mining yield with the Medium Cargohold Optimization I rigs installed in empty rig slots to maximize the cargo hold capacity.

To summarize, here's the list of skills I trained in order, with the optional skills not necessary for flying the Retriever italicized:

01. Mining III
02. Drones I
03. Industry I
04. Mining IV
05. Caldari Frigate III
06. Scout Drone Operation I
07. Hull Upgrades I
08. Targeting I
09. Shield Operation I
10. Shield Upgrades I
11. Shield Management I
12. Tactical Shield Manipulation I
13. Science IV
14. Shield Operation II
15. Shield Management II
16. Caldari Industrial I
17. Caldari Frigate IV
18. Drones II
19. Drones III
20. Astrogeology I
21. Astrogeology II
22. Astrogeology III
23. Caldari Cruiser I
24. Caldari Cruiser II
25. Astrogeology I
26. Astrogeology II
27. Afterburner I
28. Hull Upgrades II
29. Astrogeology III
30. Caldari Cruiser III
31. Caldari Industrial II
32. Caldari Industrial III
33. Astrogeology IV
34. Industry I
35. Industry II
36. Industry III
37. Mechanics III
38. Survey I
39. Survey II
40. Survey III
41. Refining I
42. Refining II
43. Refining III
44. Refining IV
45. Jury Rigging III
46. Refining IV
47. Industry V
48. Drones IV
49. Warp Drive Operation
50. Astronautics Rigging
51. Mining Barge I
52. Mining Barge II
53. Mining Barge III
54. Ice Harvesting I
55. Ice Harvesting II



If you really streamline the skills queue, it is possible to fly the Retriever by a few days earlier than 16. It all depends on how you would like to play the game.

This concludes the small experiment of trying to see how fast I can fly the Retriever only relying on mining income. A few times I tried salvaging and mission running, but it was more for entertainment and comparison rather than the need for ISK. Generally, I was only limited in skill training time. Playing only about an hour or even less a day provided me with more than enough ISK to fund the Retriever.

I hope you found this series of posts useful. Have fun mining out there and stay tuned for similar posts for other career avenues in EVE!

Thank you for reading,


A Fledgling Capsuleer
 


No comments:

Post a Comment