Wednesday, March 7, 2012

New Mining Character Day 8 - Crossroads and Badger Mark II

At this point in the game, if you're new, you may want to consider if you'd like to go forward with mining. You already have rather decent mining skills and ship. It'll be able to provide you with steady income to fall back on, while you explore other aspects of EVE, and you can always come back to training mining skills and continue on down this path later. If you're still very interested in mining, then let's carry on!

First point of business, to get more ISK/hr we'll need to upgrade our Industrial hauler. As we saw before, less time warping = considerably more ISK/hr (rather common sense). Since the Osprey provides a lot more mining yield than the Bantam, we need to ditch the Badger and upgrade to Badger Mark II.

Caldari Industrial - Badger Mark II

This gargantuan beast boasts 12,513.8 m3 cargo space with 3x Expanded Cargohold II mods and Caldari Industrial skill level at III. There's further room for improving the cargo space by training the Caldari Industrial skill to higher levels and/or installing Medium Cargo Optimization I rigs. The 12,513.8 m3 space is more than sufficient for current mining operations.

Badger Mark II Barebones Fit - 3x Expanded Cargohold II gives 12,513 m3 cargo space

Personally, it was very important for me to be able to have a hauler that has higher than 10,000 m3 cargo space, because I travel from system to system where the ore prices are the best. After repackaging my Osprey, the cruiser takes up exactly 10,000 m3 in cargo volume. And even though, I outfitted the Badger Mark II with tech II expanded cargohold mods, installing the (much) cheaper Mark I Modified SS Expanded Cargo I mod will still give you 10,432.8 m3 - enough to haul the repackaged Osprey anywhere you want.

After figuring things out with the ore hauling, the rest of the skills needed to fly the Retriever are not numerous, but will take some time to train.

The skill queue for today:

- completing Astrogeology IV
- Industry I
- Industry II
- Industry III

Let's get that ISK stockpiled (and spent on getting better equipment)! So far in the game, it's not the amount of ISK you have that holds you back, but the skill training. So splurging here and there is quite alright as long as you have back-up ISK to fund the ship replacement.






4 comments:

  1. I am loving this series of mining posts. I just came back to the game and am following your same progression route. It's been very very helpful. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your kind words! I'm very glad that you're finding the posts helpful. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask them. I've been down the mining path before and I'll do my best to answer them fully!

      Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  2. I've added you as a contact in game. I'll give you a shout there sometime as well if you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing! You can add my main as well - Tatius Jorgstern. I don't play very often these days, but whenever I'm writing a blog post or running Incursions, I'm in-game and happy to answer any questions you have.

      Delete