Saturday, March 3, 2012

New Mining Character Day 6 - Flying the Osprey

And here we go. Skill training is complete, and now I am able to fly the Osprey. The income from mining is going to increase quite a bit. The Osprey sports a large cargo hold (plus 3 low slots for Expanded Cargohold modules) and is able to fit 3 mining lasers. With all the skills trained up, the Osprey will easily approach, only slightly falling short of the mining yield of the Retriever.

Although I was very anxious to take the Osprey out for a spin, I still had to fit it before noting down some mining yield stats. I stripped the fit from the Bantam and installed the modules on the Osprey. Being close to Jita, I went straight there for the best bargains on the rest of the equipment I needed. I purchased another 1x Mark I Modified SS Expanded Cargo and decided to replace the basic Miner I lasers with 3x XeCl Drilling Beam I laser, which give higher mining yield.

The current Osprey fit that I have is: 

High Slots: 
3x XeCl Drilling Beam I

Medium Slots: 
Survey Scanner I
Small Shield Extender I

Low Slots: 
3x Mark I Modified SS Expanded Cargo


By far, that's not a finished fit, but it's barebones and it'll do for mining. Going back to The Citadel region, Oiniken system that currently has the best deal on the ore (Viscous Pyroxeres), I tried the Osprey out. Here are the basic stats for one haul of ore:

- Mining yield: 260.10 m3 / min
- Mined ore (solid pyroxeres): 2793 units (full cargo - 838 m3)
- Solid Pyroxeres: 52.51 ISK/unit
- Total Profit (after taxes): 1,451,93.83 ISK (roughly ~2,089,119.86 ISK/hr)

Compare that with Bantam which gave us 63,675.05 ISK per haul and 91,6187.77 ISK/hr. That's more than DOUBLE the income! And it can be increased further if you'll be jetcanning and hauling the ore with an Industrial ship. More and more it looks like I may invest the time into training the skills necessary for Badger Mark II, making sure that its cargohold will be able to fit a repackaged Osprey (10,000 m3). 

The skill training queue for today was:

- Caldari Cruiser I
- Caldari Cruiser II
- Drones II
- Astrogeology I
- Astrogeology II
- Drones III
- Afterburner I
- Hull Upgrades II
- Astrogeology III
- Caldari Cruiser III 

I have included Afterburner I skill because I intend on outfitting the Osprey with an afterburner and Hull Upgrades II is needed for the Expanded Cargohold II module - the Tech II variant that gives the most bonus to cargohold space. Now it's time to start mining with this awesome cruiser!