Monday, March 5, 2012

New Mining Character Day 7 - Upgrading the Osprey

Wasting no time, I upgraded the Osprey right way. I had enough ISK to get the best equipment for it and enough back-up ISK in case I somehow manage to lose the ship. Judging by the amount of ISK I was getting per haul, I could see that splurging on the best equipment would quickly be recovered.


This is the fit that I started to use within a day of being able to fly the Osprey. Using Miner II and Expanded Cargohold II gives you 1005.2 m3 cargo space and mining yield of 397.44 m3 / min. The mining yield will go even higher as you upgrade the Astrogeology skill to level IV. That translates to roughly 175k ISK in under 3 minutes (using Viscous Pyroxeres @ 52.51 ISK/unit price). 

I will provide you with exact calculations once I will upgrade my skills to be able to fly Badger Mark II. That way I will be able to do less trips and haul the ore with the industrial ship. 

Osprey Mining Pyroxeres

After posting my fit on BattleClinic, I got some positive feedback along with tips to improve the fit further. Namely, being able to install rigs and fitting a salvager or missile/rocket launcher. The current fit that I presented is very tight in terms of CPU availability. I will consider training additional skills that would let me make the absolute most out of the Osprey and, of course, report back with the results.

The skill training queue for today:

- Caldari Industrial II
- Caldari Industrial III
- Astrogeology IV

Now time to stockpile the ISK to be able to afford all of the best equipment for the Retriever. As it stands right now, fast-tracking (only training skills that are essential) to being able to fly the Retriever should take just above 8 days total. I likely won't be able to stick with that deadline since I would require additional skill training to show you some other options with regards to ship fitting and mining in general. Hopefully, it won't be much longer than 8 days.