Tuesday, February 28, 2012

New Mining Character

After some consideration, I have decided to create a brand new character dedicated to mining asteroids. The basic goal of this little experiment/tutorial is to go through all of the steps that a new player would ideally encounter in trying to create a mining character. This should provide a guide on what to train and how to maximize income from mining, especially in the initial steps where every little bit of ISK or training time counts.

This will be a very streamlined character, dedicated solely to mining and training the skills required to fly the Retriever. I will be outlining all of the necessary skills and the order in which I have trained them along with any gameplay issues or obstacles I encountered along the way. All of the ISK income will be derived only from mining or mining missions (plus the initial Industry Career Agent missions).

Currently I plan to focus almost entirely on mining and spaceship command skills that are needed to properly fly the Retriever, deviating a little bit here and there to train support skills that will keep your ship in one piece if something goes wrong. I am unsure if I will train up any refining skills as I intend on selling raw ore, but I will consider those skills if it will be economically pertinent.

And now, without further ado, let me introduce Nolen Katelo. The choice of a Caldari Civire character is based solely on aesthetics. Although in this tutorial I plan on using Bantam and Osprey, which are Caldari ships (and the best avenue for mining, but more on that later), before upgrading to the Retriever, cross-training Caldari Frigate will only set you back 35000ISK and a few hours of skill training. So it doesn`t matter which race you select, but make sure you're happy with your choice.


And now it's time for:





Nolen Katelo and his brand new Ibis of Doom